Ghana: GNFS Begins Investigations Into Goodness Energy Tanker Yard Fire Incident

Ghana’s National Fire Service in Tema Region have begun investigations into the circumstances that caused the fire outbreak at the Goodness Energy tanker yard in Kpone on Wednesday, October 2, 2019, resulting in the burning of 12 tankers. Deputy Regional Commander, Mr Timothy Osafo Affum told they have been in talks with the owner of the tanker yard to find out how the fire started. Initially, reported that 15 tankers were burnt into ashes but Mr Osafo Affum clarified that the number of the tankers that got burnt was later discovered to be 12.

He said 10 tankers were completely burnt while the other two were partially burnt. Explaining how his outfit got information about the fire, he said it was around 7pm Wednesday, when his outfit received a distress call that the tanker yard was on fire.

He said: “We quickly mobilised six fire tenders and one water tanker and proceeded to the scene.” He said personnel of the service did their best to control the raging inferno, adding that at about 2am Thursday, they contained the fire and packed and left but were called back that the fire had not been completely quenched.

According to him, the service personnel returned to the scene and managed to completely put off the fire around 7am Thursday. “Once we’re done with our investigations, we will let the public know what caused the fire,” he assured.

When‘s team got to the scene at about 10pm on Wednesday, fire fighters from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were tirelessly working to bring the fire under control. Eyewitness According to an eyewitness who spoke to, he was returning from work when he heard of an explosion and traced the smoke to the scene. He said when he arrived at the scene, he saw thick smoke coming out from the tanker yard.

He said when the fire started, there were a couple of drivers around, explaining that some managed to quickly drive their tankers out of the yard. He commended the personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service for their efforts.

At the time was leaving the fire scene at about 1am, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service were still battling the fire.

Source: Energy News Africa